Friday, April 11, 2008

A Quick Note on Petrushka

I have heard a lot of great things about puppeteer Basil Twist's art - his Symphonie Fantastique, performed in a pool, sounds amazing and a little incomprehensible to me. His Petrushka, however, makes sense. A great ballet by Stravinsky, with an accessible narrative with easily identified characters, Petrushka lends itself to different treatments.

Lincoln Center brought Basil Twist's Petrushka back as part of a larger Stravinsky focus, and its long run sold out quickly - it is in a space which seats less then 200 people. I feel lucky and blessed to have seen this production, which was warm, fun, and beautiful.


Joan Acocella wrote about the production beautifully here, and I am not sure there is much more I could add, except I hope for everyone it comes back again and again, and I look forward to seeing what the heck the Berlioz in the water is all about.

No comments: